Timba & Latin
Afro Cuban Dance
with Susana Arenas
Timba / Afro Salsa Suelta
Susana's classes include an invigorating warm-up and instruction in traditional Afro-Cuban folkloric genres, including Orisha styles and secular dances of Cuba.
with Luz Mena
Latin Dance (Int Level)
This class offers the fundamentals of Latin rhythms and dance movements, like salsa, son, cha cha cha and rumba.
Participants will learn balance, coordination and space orientation techniques, in addition to steps and patterns. They will also learn cultural background information that will help them set the mood and project the flavor of these dances.
Class Objectives: To learn Salsa’s rhythmic pattern and variations and basic salsa steps and phrases. Our emphasis will be on Afro-Cuban salsa/timba, Salsa funk and Cabaret salsa styles. Here's an outline of the material we would cover:
- 1. Salsa Music, Rhythm and Beat. a) Basic Salsa rhythm b) Tempo, beats and accents.
- 2. Basic Salsa movement. a) Body alignment b) Cadence (Tumbao). c) Hip and torso movement. d) Knees and feet e) Shoulders and arms.
- 3. Taps, rocks and weight changes. a) Taps (no weight change) b Tap as hold in salsa step. c)Tap as a step d) Rock steps (brief weight changes).
- 4. Basic Salsa steps and positions. a) Stationary lateral, forward/back, diagonal b) Traveling c) Changing directions and space orientation.
- 5. Pivots and basic turns. a) Forward and back pivots. b) Side pivots, c) Diagonal back pivots. d) Salsa half turns and walk turns.
- 6. Combinations and phrases.